The Congestion Charge Zone is not free for every EV
05 October 2021 | Kate Kozlowska | 3 min read
For electric or plug-in hybrid cars or vans, the Congestion Charge is discounted by 100%. However, you must apply in advance. If you lease your vehicle, it is your responsibility as a vehicle keeper to apply for the exemption discount. This is not something we can manage for you.
How to apply for a Congestion Charge Exemption for your electric vehicle?
The discount can be obtained online by setting up a London Road User Charging account.
An account allows you to:
- Renew your discount online and manage it easily
- Pay the Congestion Charge at a lower rate by setting up CC Auto Pay for up to five vehicles
- Give up to five people access to your London Road User Charging account
- Apply for Fleet Auto Pay, an automated payment option for fleets with six or more vehicles
- Store your contact and vehicle information to speed up payments
Sign up for a LONDON ROAD USER CHARGING account
Documents required when applying for an EV Congestion Charge Exemption
To prove your eligibility, you must provide the following:
- DVLA V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book)
- Unless you are registering the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, you will also need to provide a conformity certificate if your vehicle is a 'plug-in hybrid'
These documents can be uploaded as part of your online application or sent later via postal mail or email.
TfL confirmed with us that they will accept a lease agreement instead of V5C if you are leasing a vehicle. Thus, you can register your EV for the Congestion Charge Zone discount quicker, without having to wait for the log book to arrive, which can take as long as 3 weeks.
How much is the registration fee for the Congestion Charge Exemption for an electric car or van?
Registering each electric vehicle for the Congestion Charge discount costs £10 and must be renewed annually.
You should continue to pay the daily Congestion Charge for travel within the charging zone until you receive confirmation that your application has been approved. You should receive your exemption confirmation within 10 working days. There will be penalties for not paying during this period.
Renewing your Congestion Charge Discount
A notification will be sent to you when your discount is about to expire. The Congestion Charge discount can be renewed online once you receive the notification.
This information should help you to avoid unnecessary fees and charges when driving in London and to benefit from electric vehicle discounts.
Check out our latest electric vehicle offers for personal or business use if you're still on the hunt for your ideal vehicle.
ELECTRIC CAR OFFERS ELECTRIC VAN OFFERS