Low costs of running, access to ultra-low emissions zones, combined with grants available for purchasing and charge point installation, can make buying or leasing an electric van an intelligent choice for many businesses. There are many benefits & perks for companies looking to buy or hire an electric van for their fleet in our world of low-carbon vehicles.
Introducing the Volkswagen ABT e-Transporter 6.1
Volkswagen has collaborated with its Premium Partner, ABT e-Line. A company considered at the forefront of mobility for motorsport and road vehicles to produce the iconic Transporter 6.1 in an all-electric version. The ABT eTransporter 6.1 gives businesses the ability to profit from the zero-emission, green benefits of an electric powertrain whilst also gaining you free access to the London Ultra Low Emission Zone and Clean Air Zones. On top of that, there is zero Road TAX (VED) to pay!
Payload and cargo area capacity of the ABT e-Transporter
What's the e-Transporter's load capacity?
Thanks to the ABT electric Transporter van's battery fitted below the load area, the eTransporter offers a large uncompromised 6.7m3 cargo area.
What is the maximum payload of the all-electric e-Transporter?
The maximum load weight that you can transport in this Transporter EV depends on the model you choose and stands as follows:
- ABT e-Transporter 6.1 Panel van - 996 kg
- ABT e-Transporter 6.1 Panel van Advance - 962 kg
- ABT e-Transporter 6.1 kombi crew van - 900 kg
- ABT e-Transporter 6.1 kombi crew van Advance - 887 kg
Discover the battery and electric motor of the VW e-Transporter
What is the e-Transporter's battery capacity?
The electric Volkswagen Transporter uses a compact 37.3kWh lithium-ion battery designed to provide more than 1,600 charging cycles and consists of 16 modules that can be individually replaced. In addition, ABT fitted compact batteries of the ABT e-Transporter 6.1 below the load are to provide an uncompromising cargo area.
What is the VW e-Transporter electric range?
The all-electric Volkswagen Transporter does 2.19 M/KWh, giving a maximum driving range of 82 miles. The e-Transporter crew van's range is 80 miles.
What is the top speed of the Transporter EV?
As per manufacturer settings, the maximum speed you can achieve in this electric Volkswagen van is 56 mph. However, not many know that you can extend the top speed of the e-Transporter van to 75mph! How? You can increase the maximum speed at a dealership. If you're leasing eTransporter with CVC, we will process this request for you. To change the max speed of the Transporter electric, it will cost just over £100. The ABT Transporter-e reaches 0-62 mph in 17.4 sec.
What is the maximum power of the VW ABT e-Transporter 6.1?
Power electronics provide the central component of the electric drive where 110 PS (83kW) is the maximum power of the e-Transporter's electric motor. Taking the advantages of the dual-clutch transmission DSG and combining it with the requirements of electric drive, the ABT e-Transporter 6.1 develops sufficient power in any driving situation. Like in a regular ICE, you can select Park' P', Reverse 'R' and Drive' D' using the gear shift. Driving in 'D' provides you with 75% power and torque; therefore, maximising the range, the kick-down function delivers 100% power and torque, maximising performance.
How does the Transporter e-recover energy?
The e-transporter achieves its energy recovery usually lost when braking by changing the drive motor to generator operation. Which then feeds the resulting current into the vehicle's battery, saving it for later use.
Everything you need to know about charging the Volkswagen ABT e-Transporter 6.1
The Combined Charging System (CCS) socket on the ABT e-Transporter 6.1 provides a flexible charging solution, combining the ability to charge via either AC or DC. You can use any ChargePoint with either a CCS (DC charging) or Type 2 (AC charging) plug type. A 5m Type 2 charging cable is included with the vehicle as standard, while DC charging cable is a paid option.
How long does it take to charge the electric Transporter van?
There are three ways of charging the battery of your new ABT e-Transporter, and the charging time varies depending on which option you choose.
The design of a wall box is to provide a more efficient charging performance and shorter charging time than a standard domestic mains socket. For example, a 7.2kW wall box will charge your new e-Transporter from 0-100% in approximately five and a half hours.
Rapid charging using a DC charger is the fastest way to charge your electric Volkswagen van. The ABT e-Transporter 6.1 supports up to 50kW DC charging using a CCS connector, which means the vehicle's lithium-ion battery can be charged from 0-80% in approximately 45 minutes.
The ABT e-Transporter 6.1 can support AC charging up to 7.2kW. A standard UK 3-pin connector or wall box can do this (cable not supplied). However, we recommend using a wall box to charge your van due to the high energy demands and the significantly faster charge time.
How do I know how much charge is left in my e Transporter 6.1?
Replacing the usual rev counter dial in the driver's instrument cluster is a power meter that includes a charge level indicator. When charging the battery via recuperation energy from breaking, it is indicated by turning the needle green. The blue area denotes the typically optimum speeds and acceleration for the most economical driving. In addition, thanks to the charge level indicator, you always know the current state of charge in the battery. The multi-function display can also show the energy consumption and the remaining range.
Choose the right electric VW transporter ABT 6.1 model for your business
The all-electric Volkswagen ABT 6.1 is available as a standard panel van and a kombi crew van. Both are available in two trims, basic and Advance.
ABT e-Transporter 6.1 Panel van - standard equipment
- 16-inch steel wheels
- 205/65 R16 tyres with low rolling resistance
- Steel spare wheel
- Tool kit and jack
- Electrically adjustable and heated exterior door mirrors
- Grey bumpers, exterior door mirror housing, and door handles in black
- H7 twin halogen headlights
- Radiator grille with double chrome trim strip
AIR CONDITIONING AND SUN PROTECTION
- Climatic air conditioning system
- Heat-insulating windows in the cab
- Dash panel with open storage compartments, drink holders and illuminated lockable glovebox
- Dimmable dashboard illumination
- 'Double Grid' cloth seat upholstery in Titanium Black
- Driver's seat with armrest, height adjustment and 4-way manual lumbar support
- Dual passenger bench seat
- Durable rubber floor in the cab
- Electric windows in the cab
- Heated front seats
- Folding grab handles on the roof frame
- Leather-trimmed multi-function steering wheel with height and longitudinal adjustment
- LED interior lighting with two reading lights in the roof console
- Sun visors and airbag label on the front passenger sun visor
- 12V socket
INFOTAINMENT AND CONNECTIVITY
- Composition Colour DAB+ radio system with 6.5-inch touchscreen and four loudspeakers, SD card slot, Bluetooth® handsfree and two USB interfaces (type-C) in dashboard
- Multi-function display 'Premium' with colour display
- Volkswagen App-Connect
- Folding lashing rings for load restraint system, reinforced (ISO 27956)
- Full height steel bulkhead, without window
- Half-height side trim panels and roof trim panels made of hardboard
- Interior lighting with LED technology in the load compartment
- Rear wing doors without window apertures
- Sliding door on the left in the load compartment
DRIVER ASSISTANCE, SAFETY AND SECURING SYSTEMS
- Acoustic Vehicle Alert System
- Automatic Post-Collision Braking System1
- Brake Assist system
- Central locking system with two remote control folding keys and interior operation
- Crosswind Assist1
- Daytime running lights
- Driver Alert system
- Driver and front passenger airbags with front passenger's airbag deactivation button
- Electromechanical steering
- Electronic Stabilisation Programme1 (ESP), Anti-lock Braking
- System (ABS), Traction Control System (ASR), Electronic
- Differential Lock (EDL) and Hill Start Assist1
- Engine immobiliser
- Front Assist with City Emergency Braking System1
- Parking sensors, rear
- Regenerative braking
ABT e-Transporter 6.1 Panel van Advance - standard equipment
In addition to the e-Transporter panel van basic model.
- 17 inch 'Devonport' alloy wheels 7J x 17 in silver with 215/60 R17 tyres
- Lockable wheel bolts
- Automatic headlight activation with separate daytime running lights, leaving home and manual coming home function
- Body-coloured exterior door mirror housings, door handles and bumpers
- Electrically foldable exterior door mirrors
- Front fog lights with cornering function
- LED headlights with separate LED daytime running lights
- Windshield wiper intermittent control with rain sensor
- Additional 12V socket in the dashboard
- Auto-dimming interior rear-view mirror
- 'Bricks' cloth seat upholstery in Titanium Black
- Entry handle on A-pillar on driver's and front passenger's side
- One waste bin in the door storage compartment
- Sun visors wit
AIR CONDITIONING AND SUN PROTECTION
- Laminated windshield, heated
DRIVER ASSISTANCE, SAFETY AND SECURING SYSTEMS
- Parking sensors, front and rear
- High beam control
- Anti-theft alarm system with interior monitoring in-cab, backup horn, towing protection and SAFE LOCK
ABT e-Transporter 6.1 kombi crew van - standard equipment
In addition to the ABT e-Transporter 6.1 Panel van basic, the VW ABT 6.1 kombi crew van offers the following:
- Dimmable interior rear-view mirror
- Full height side trim panels in the load compartment
- Illuminated steps in load/passenger compartment
- ISOFIX and top tether child seat anchors for the outer seats of the three-seater bench seat
- A rear window in the tailgate with heat-insulating glass, heated with wiper and washer system
- Rubber floor covering in the passenger compartment with loading edge protection in rear
- Side sliding windows in the second row, left and right
- Tailgate closing with unlatching from the inside
- Two individual seats at the front and a folding three-seater bench seat at the rear in the second row
- Tyre pressure loss indicator
ABT e-Transporter 6.1 kombi crew van Advance - standard equipment
In addition to the basic panel van:
- Armrests for both front seats
- Manual height adjustment for both front seats
- Manually adjustable lumbar support for both front seats
- Privacy glass from the B-pillar, heat-insulating glass (green) in front
Are you wondering what's the VW e Transporter price?
The cheapest Transporter EV model to buy is the basic panel, with the introductory price standing at £41,365.00 or £49,638.00, including VAT. Realistically you can buy the e-Transporter ABT 6.1 for £44,461.00, which is a total RRP inc. OTR, VAT, and Plug-In Vehicle Grant.
If you're after the Transporter electric van Advance, you need to be prepared to pay £44,665.00 (£53,598.00 including VAT). However, if you take advantage of the Plug-in Vehicle Grant (PIVG), the total RRP, including OTR and VAT, will be £48,421.00.
The Transporter-e crew van in basic trim will cost you £45,680.00 (or £54,816.00 including VAT), but you can reduce this price to £49,639.00 by including a PIVG.
Finally, if you want to buy the ABT e-Transporter 6.1 kombi crew van, this will cost you £53,971.00 after deducting the EV Grant. The list price for this model is £49,290.00 or £59,148.00 if you add VAT.
If you don't want to or can't pay such a high price upfront, we recommend leasing the Volkswagen e-Transporter instead. With a small initial rental and equal monthly rentals, you could drive a brand new electric Transporter 6.1 in no time and without having to spend all that money upfront. Here, at CVC, we offer the best leasing deals on the Transporter electric van.
Dimensions of the Volkswagen ABT e-Transporter 6.1
e-Transporter Panel Van
e-Transporter Crew Van
Both panel and crew electric Transporter vans offer 5m2 in the load compartment area. The roof load limit for the ABT Transporter EV is 100kg (2 roof carriers) to 150kg (3 roof carriers) regardless of the model.
All Transporter electric vans come with a sliding door. The width of the door is 1,017mm and is the same for panel and crew van but slightly varies when it comes to its height - panel van's door is 1,282mm high and crew van's door is 1,264mm tall. It's not a big difference but worth knowing if you plan to load the van with a bit larger items.
Tailgate is 1,473mm wide for all models and 1,299mm in height in the panel van. The Kombi Crew e-Transporter's tailgate is 1,290mm high.
Wing door dimensions are are follows (width x height): Panel van - 1,473 x 1,299 and Crew van 1,473 x 1,305.
Turning circles for all zero-emissions Transporters is 13,200mm.
Is the VW Transporter ABT 6.1 worth it?
The Volkswagen electric Transporter van is VW's first electric van. The driving range is short, but it's more than enough for businesses operating locally, such as plumbers, builders, food delivery services, gas engineers and house decorators. They can only benefit from low running costs and enjoy a great driving experience from the zero-emissions Transporter. The e-Transporter 6.1 offers generous standard equipment and 50kW rapid charging. Don't forget the ABT Transporter 6.1 can tow up to 1,500 kg, too. Limited payload rating and 56mph speed limiter might put some buyers off though but as with everything, what is not enough for some, is more than satisfying for others.
We hope this Volkswagen ABT e-Transporter 6.1 guide has helped you decide if this 100% electric van will work for you and your business. Don't hesitate to contact us if there is anything else you'd like to know about this popular electric van that we haven't covered here.
Does the e-Transporter sound like a van you've been looking for? Check our current VW e-Transporter leasing deals below.
Volkswagen ABT e-Transporter 6.1 offers
Source of information: The ABT e-Transporter 6.1 brouchure. Issue: 18 March 2021