Can I change the mileage on my vehicle lease contract?
Customers often ask about the option to amend the mileage allowance on their lease contract or, in other terms, a lease contract amendment.
Our other FAQ explained why you have to declare your annual mileage when leasing a vehicle. Hence, you know that the mileage is a significant factor in defining the cost of your leasing plan. In addition, you can see the importance of declaring the mileage that accurately reflects your driving needs.
We understand that your circumstances might change during the lease agreement, resulting in needing a lower or higher mileage allowance. In addition, it is possible to change your mileage on your lease agreement with your finance provider in some cases. Still, you must check before you take out the lease agreement if your contract has that level of flexibility. Therefore, we have put together this short guide to explain the process of amending your leasing contract. This guide will help you understand the rules surrounding lease agreement amendments and answer the questions you may have.
What is a lease contract amendment?
A vehicle lease contract amendment is a formal change to your original agreement, such as the annual mileage allowance or lease term. These changes may include:
- Mileage increase to avoid excess mileage charges (e.g. changing annual mileage from 10,000 to 12,000)
- Mileage decrease (e.g. reducing annual mileage from 10,000 to 8,000)
- Term extension (e.g. extending a lease agreement from 24 to 36 months)
- Adding breakdown cover or maintenance (e.g. adding recovery to your contract for extra peace of mind)
This guide will focus on the process involved in amending the mileage allowance on your car or van lease contract.
Why amend your mileage on a leased vehicle?
There are many reasons why you might need to amend your mileage allowance. You might move home or job and need to travel longer distances meaning you're likely to exceed your agreed mileage. You might use a second car or get access to a company car which means that you won't use your leased vehicle as often as expected. Your business might grow and expand, resulting in you having to drive your van more and for longer distances. These are just a few possible scenarios requiring annual mileage amendment.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY CHANGES TO YOUR CONTRACT, INCLUDING MILEAGE AMENDMENT, CAN ONLY BE MADE BY THE FINANCE PROVIDER AND ONLY AT THEIR DISCRETION. THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR EVERY VEHICLE LEASE CONTRACT. THEREFORE IT IS IMPORTANT TO FIND OUT WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE BEFORE TAKING OUT YOUR LEASE AGREEMENT.
What are the criteria for a mileage amendment on your vehicle lease?
The criteria for a mileage amendment vary, not only from funder to funder but also from contract to contract.
- Most finance providers won't allow mileage amendments for the first 12 months from the date you signed your lease agreement.
- Most funders will only allow a contract amendment if at least 6 payments are outstanding on the original agreement.
- Depending on the finance provider, they may disallow changes to the mileage allowance for customers on a Personal Contract Hire agreement.
- Some finance providers don't allow a mileage amendment for Sole Traders or Partnerships with less than 3 partners.
- Some funders will only change your mileage allowance if the mileage amendment is at least 10% of the initially agreed mileage (e.g. if your original mileage was 10,000, you need to increase it to at least 11,000 miles)
- Funders will charge an administration fee for each vehicle you request a mileage amendment for
Who can apply for a mileage amendment on a vehicle lease contract?
Providing that your funder allows mileage amendments, every customer can apply unless:
- The account is in arrears or is subject to default or insolvency
- The modifying agreement is incomplete
How much does it cost to change your mileage on a lease agreement?
Suppose your funder agrees to change your previously agreed mileage allowance. In that case, the funder will also calculate your new rentals and issue a new quotation. Commercial Vehicle Contracts Ltd doesn't charge any fees. However, other brokers may charge you around £100 (plus VAT) per vehicle mileage amendment request.
What do you need to do if you want to request a mileage amendment?
Please contact CVC on 01424 863456 or contact us to discuss your options with our vehicle leasing experts. Please note that we can only discuss a mileage amendment with the person named on the finance agreement. Therefore, please have your vehicle registration number ready when contacting us.
We will contact the funder to see if you're eligible for a mileage amendment and will be in touch to advise you of your options. If your funder accepts the amendment, they will send a Modifying Agreement detailing the amendment to us. We will then e-mail these to you and ask you to check the documentation to ensure everything is correct. You will then need to sign the modifying agreement and return the documentation following the instructions in our e-mail. We must receive the signed Modifying Agreement at least two working days before the quote validity expiry date to process the documentation.
We trust that this short guide explains everything you need to know about increasing or decreasing mileage allowance on your lease car or van.
Don't forget to check out Van Top Deals and Car Top Deals to see this month's special offers, and please contact us if you'd like any further information.